Friday, July 9, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On

I have a theory that I get the hiccups when I get stressed.
I got them all the time at my old job, and I could never get them to go away. And today, they are back.

Amigos, I have been packing up my apartment all day.
I have been packing up my apartment all day, quite alone with my thoughts [and a few intermittent phone calls]. And whenever I am alone with my thoughts for any length of time, I begin to dwell. Unfortunately, at this particular juncture in my life, the only thing I can really dwell on is my joblessness.
You will recall from my last day at the station, the resolve and confidence that I deemed so necessary?
Well, it's only been a week, and I'm wavering.

I have YET to hear back from any of the jobs I applied for the other day. I tried to call and check on a few this afternoon, but quickly realized that Friday's are not the best time to do that. So I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.
[Did I ever mention that patience is not my strongest suit?]
Ugh.
It's quite frustrating.
In an attempt to feel slightly less helpless about the whole situation, I spent an hour online today filling out an application for a local bookstore [yes it really took that long, they warn you at the beginning of the application ha!], which I think would be a nice little job for me, considering my affinity for reading. But still, I don't feel at ease.

I did, however, discover a new remedy for the hiccups!
Did you know, that if you press down strongly on your collar bones with your fingers, your hiccups will be cured?! It was so cool! You can also swallow a spoonful of sugar or honey, or breathe into a paper bag. But the collar bones cure is definitely the most handy one to know, and it really works!

Back to the dwelling- I was chatting with a girlfriend about real life and how it can be overwhelming and underwhelming all at the same time, and how we've already reached our stress limit. We can't even really get too worked up about whether or not things are going to work out, because we've already spent ourselves by doing so. At this point, all we can really do is keep calm and carry on, and wait for things to fall into place.


My old roommate bought a poster like this for her new place. It was created by the British Government to boost morale during World War II. I think it still applies... Everyone could use a little boost every now and then :)

Well, I managed to cure my hiccups, and I'm in a considerably lighter mood.
Gotta love the little things.

Yours, truly 

No comments:

Post a Comment