Wednesday, July 7, 2010

When it rains...

Faithful blog friends, I have had a spot of bad luck.

You see, yesterday, when I was so diligently running around the Memphis city limits applying for work at all kinds of restaurants, bookstores, and health food establishments, I made one last stop at a Target to get a birthday present for a friend.
[It gets better...]

Now, I haven't been to Target in quite some time. It's not a good idea for me to go there when I am so whole-heartedly trying to NOT spend excessively. There is always something at Target that I should have. But I digress...

So, I pulled into the Target parking lot, which, mind you, consists of driving up a very large hill. I must also mention that this particular Target is undergoing some construction right now, as this is important to the overall point of this story.

So, I was driving up the large hill entrance to Target under Construction.

Now, normally, when I go to this Target [which is a relatively common occurrence], I go up the large hill and veer to the right, where I coast through rows of empty parking spots until I come to the middle isles, where I choose a spot for myself.

Yesterday, however, it was not so simple.
As I planed out from scaling the large entrance hill, I realized that, in veering to the right as I would normally do, I was now on a straight course towards a newly-added and unfinished median/future foliage holder meant to add to the new and improved Target shopping experience.

But, by this point, it was too late.

Yes, comrades, I hit the median.
And going faster than normal parking lot speed, as I had to accelerate to make it up the more-than-medium-sized entrance hill.

My poor Yodi the Yaris suffered quite the damage.
I didn't think it was going to be as extensive as it, in fact, was.
My front bumper was hanging on by a mere screw.

Now, I tell you this, not because it is something I am proud of, but in hopes that others will avoid my same mistake.
It is not an inexpensive lesson!

I am now driving a rental.
[which, on the upside, has cruise control, power windows/locks, and more storage space than Yodi, which will come in handy when I'm moving back.]

But- this silver lining comes at a dear price.
$500 deductible
$10/day for the rental
and bye-bye to my accident-free insurance discount, which saved me about $200 a year

What can I say. Shit happens.

Oh! And on a positive note- Happy Birthday xttina!

Tomorrow- it's back to Knoxville to celebrate the historic milestone of her 22nd, pack, and wait for AA to get there so we can go to the beach for a few days :)

Yours, truly

No comments:

Post a Comment