Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beans and cornbread.

I am channeling Susie Homemaker this week, and making a dinner menu.
On a post-it.
It's posted on the fridge. Where the food lives.

I've been trying to be a good little shacker-upper and make more delicious dinners lately. [Really, lkj and I are trying to spend less on extravagant eating out, as we have been known to enjoy a nice $60 dollar dinner in the past...] Either way, I've been broadening my horizons [in the cooking arena] and trying my hand at some meals. They've been working out pretty well, actually.

As a side note, we have also been pursuing some healthier options, but healthy in our books probably isn't the same in yours. We still give ourselves credit.

So, the other day my Mom was talking about a dinner she had made for herself and her vegetarian buddy. She called it a "Southern style" veggie night. And by Southern style, I don't mean jerked or fried. I mean a veggie night fit for a southern family meal.
It sounded delicious.
Because we had consumed a large amount of friend catfish the night before, I thought a lighter meal would be just perfect for dinner last night.
Green beans, sweet peas, black-eyed peas, corn, shells and cheese, and cornbread.
Judge however you will, it was delicious.
Although lkj would have enjoyed a meatier meal better, even he couldn't complain too much about the veggies. [Yes, I am counting shells and cheese as a veggie. I don't care what you say.]
My cornbread was great.
The green beans were lemon-y awesome.
You can never go wrong with shells and cheese.

I was quite proud.

Tonight? Steak.

Yours, truly

No comments:

Post a Comment