Monday, August 9, 2010

tales of a closer

Friends, it's been a busy week.
I am now on the roster at my new job, making that paper like a big girl. It feels fantastic! It also feels very sore and tired, but I'll take it.
I've been getting a lot of practice at closing the bar...the girl whose place I'm taking apparently had lots of night shifts-great for tips, not so great for the footsies. I'm thinking that the constant walking and bending and sweeping and flipping of chairs should whip me into shape real quick like.... 

For those of you who have never served tables, let me tell you that it's a unique experience to close down a bar on a Friday night.
For one-there are LOTS of ridiculous drunk people. Kind of makes you rethink consuming gratuitous amounts of alcohol, because some of these people make complete idiots of themselves right there in front of God and everyone else at the bar...but it's kind of amusing [as long as they tip well, otherwise they are just obnoxious.]
For two- there's next to no one on the roads when you are driving home. The few people that I do see, I can't help but wonder what on earth they are doing out driving at 4 a.m? Did you close down a bar as well? Are you just an incredibly early riser with lots on the agenda? Are you up to no good? Who can tell... and they are probably wondering the same about me...
And third- I have never enjoyed a shower more than after racing around a smokey bar for 8 hours, getting beer and God knows what else spilled on me, washing other people's food dishes, cleaning out their ashtrays, and doing whatever else the job calls for that day. I don't care that it's 4 a.m. and I'm exhausted- I will take a shower, and a hot one at that. 

Ok it doesn't sound all that glamorous, but it's been pretty fun so far, and you can't beat walking out after a day's hard work with over 100 dollars in your pocket. 
Somehow that makes it all worth it.

I really think that everyone should work in a restaurant at some point in their lives. It really  makes you appreciate everything that goes into your dining experience. 
Also, it makes you tip better :)

P.S.- wish me luck- I've got an interview about interning tomorrow, and I really want it to go well! It would really help with the whole life-on-track plan that I'm working on, ha.

Yours, truly

No comments:

Post a Comment