Friday, June 11, 2010

In another class...

Still changing it up... but we'll get there one of these days.

I'm back at work here on this Friday, and I am trying not to think about all of the people at Bonnaroo having way more fun than me. Sigh.
Stupid jobs..

I can't be too upset though, because a) I just finished a wonderful, relaxing couple of days off, in which I did quite literally as little as possible and b) my boo is coming to visit me this weekend :) He will be here this evening, right around the time I get off work. 

We are just too cute to boot.

We're squeezing visits in whenever we can, because at this point our work schedules are completely opposite (i.e. his is normal.) So, even though I'll have to come in to work while he is here, at least we'll get some time to hang out.
______________________________________________

The title of this post is actually the second section in Po Bronson's What Should I Do With My Life?.  Read my take on the first section.
This part discusses people who are trying to break out of their individual class beliefs. I was intrigued by the title, because I was wondering how Bronson would present this dilemma in a new light. Class employment struggles can be very controversial fodder, and Equal Opportunity has alleviated a lot of concerns from the past. What I found was that he wasn't approaching it from a cut and dry standpoint. He mostly talked to people who had gone way out of their comfort zone, to do something they never really saw themselves being interested in or capable of. Pretty interesting. I finished this section up over my weekend, and here are the quotes I found most intriguing:

 "What is freedom for, if not to live where nobody can tell you who to be, and who not to be? What is freedom for, if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?"

 "That's the lie of our culture. That everything's supposed to be fun and easy. Even our religions make it fun and easy to be religious. They waffle, the don't make a clear statement. The old-time religions have unraveled. They had it right. It's not supposed to be easy."

 "If you need to summon the will to make a change, don't debate ethics. Get personalIf you don't believe in the integrity of your profession, you can debate the ethics of it forever and never do anything. But if you define the personal toll it's taking, it hits a lot closer to home."

Definitely keeping me on my toes about my own circumstances.

Yours, truly 

No comments:

Post a Comment