Wednesday, April 6, 2011

where'd you get your information?

The news is weird.

When I worked at a TV station, I thought I had the skinny on everything that was going on, but that was kind of false.
Really, I just knew everything that was going on in a 50 mile radius of East Tennessee, which is usually a whole lot of nothing and some random environmental stuff.
Also, there was the added bias of working at a TV station. [I quickly grew to not care for this.]

I really don't like watching the evening news.
I don't know if it is because I used to write it and so I just have an inherent ick feeling about it... or if it is the way news anchors deliver the information [newstalk...], or what.
I don't really like to watch CNN either... it's nonstop information overload and it's usually pretty depressing.

It's ironic that my major was journalism.

So, anyways, I've been experimenting with new ways to get my information, and I have come across some pretty convenient and relatively reliable sources.

pulse: for those of you that have smart phones, you should probably download this app asap.
 It's customizable, so you can tailor it to exactly the kind of information you want, from a CNN feed, to Google News, to engadget, to Mashable, to Reddit, to funny videos about cats. [seriously] The design is extremely user-friendly: you can read the tagline, a short summary, or the entire article, and move seamlessly from bit to bit. It's a very easy way to quickly garner a lot of relevant information without being bummed out and/or annoyed half to death.
[I love saying and/or. So many options.]

Another way I have been getting useful info, and some of you may snark at this, but that is just your too bad, because twitter has a lot more uses than it would seem at first glance.
Yes, you can find out what your friends are thinking and where a co-worker had lunch and when I put up new blog posts [ :) ], but beyond that, you can also glean a lot of local and national info [both social and news-related]. All you have to do is follow your preferred news outlet, political pundit, or celebrity, and the information will flow freely. And, if you're bored, hit up the trending topics and odds are you will find something to laugh about.
I will always have a soft spot for The Today Show, though. I've been watching it since forever. I love  Matt Lauer.  And Hoda and Kathy Lee. And Meredith is pretty cool too. I would totes be on the Today show if I had the chance.

If you have any other interesting ways to get your info, do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment