Saturday, June 5, 2010

I'd rather be afuera.


It is a lovely Saturday in June. The sun is out, there's a nice breeze in the air. it's a great day to just be outside... I might add that I am currently sitting in the newsroom, listening to the constant chattering of the police scanners behind me. But I can see the sun through the window, and boy does it look grand.

I've somehow managed to lock myself out of my old blog. (oops) Apparently you have to have switched your account? and I was remiss. But I'm ok with it, because i've been wanting to start a new blog anyway. 
New chapter of life, new information, new slate.


Let's start from the beginning- me llamo Amanda. I'm a 22 year old college graduate from Memphis, TN. I am one of those Memphis people that loves her city. I've realized in my adventures away from home that not everyone shares my sentiment. Usually, when you find someone from Memphis, they have a pretty strong opinion of it. They either love it (like myself), or they hate it, (like a good majority of those who have decided to get the hell out.) I chalk it up to what part of the city you lived in. People who live on the outskirts generally tend not to like Memphis very much. They think it's dangerous and dirty. If you have lived in the heart of Memphis, you know that these are pretty much true statements... However, I think you develop a soft spot for the people, the atmosphere, and of course the food, that outweighs everything else.


Anyways...I've spent the past 4 years of my life in Knoxville attending the University of Tennessee. I won't spend too much time talking about my college experience at the moment, because I could probably go on all day...and as much as I would like to think that everyone cares about what I did in college, the reality is likely the opposite ha... Suffice it to say that I have very few, if any, regrets, from my collegiate experience. I met some amazing people, and I did lots of things that I didn't know I could. I actually feel considerably smarter, both in applicable skills and in life lessons, and I think that's the gist of what you are supposed to get out of college, so I'm happy.


Things about me that are important to note: I am a natural-born writer. I really ENJOY writing, obviously about things that interest me, but really I can write about anything. It's relaxing to me, and intellectually stimulating all at the same time. I also enjoy reading, which is no surprise as the two go hand in hand. I've already decided that I want to publish a book someday (I have a few ideas as to its theme already...), and my dream is to have my own column at some point, where I can have an opinion, and people actually care about it haha.


I've learned more about myself in the last six months than I ever have. That's what graduating from college will do to you. Speaking of, I would like to mention that no one ever tells you about this part... Everyone talks about college and how great it is, and how awesome it feels to graduate, and that's where it stops. No one ever tells you about the emotional roller coaster that starts right as you walk across that stage. To their defense, they've probably blocked it out... It's definitely an experience everyone should have, as far as being brought back down to earth out of your comfy college bubble. But that doesn't mean it hasn't been....well, interesting.




What I mean to say is that I'm just breaking in my big-girl pants, and even though it's been stressful to say the least, I'm pretty excited about it. I'm making my own choices, by myself, for the good of myself. It's pretty liberating. I've had to learn (very quickly) the difference between making decisions for you, and making them for someone else. I've also had to figure out how important things are to me, and if they are important enough to - go against the grain - for. In the end I've had to placate myself by telling the worry-wart inside that, even if you screw up, and things don't necessarily go as planned, odds are you are going to be just fine. And in the meantime, you may not screw up, and that would be just awesome.


I will save all of the introductions and background info for another time. I think that as I develop my presence here, the things in my life that matter will make themselves known on their own accord. I want to use this blog as a means of passing along whatever gems I find interesting, specifically with things that I'm reading.


Stick around, it should be fun :)

Yours, Truly

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! Keep letting us know when you add to it. John Killmar

    ReplyDelete